Before telling you about the ways to block spam comments,let me tell you about the negative impacts on the page ranks of this comment spammers.
- According to new google search algorithm,if you are a spammer who leaves comments like "That's a very wonderful post.Now visit my page Link".Then Google is going to flag you and your webpage.And your Page rank will be reduced soon.
- I agree it feels 'cool' to be anonymous in the web world but it's not that cool to post your spam link on every possible posts of every blogs in the internet.So from today on,you will get to comment on this blog only if you have a google ID.This decision was hard for us to take.But after getting more than 100 anonymous spam comments a day,what option do we have?.
- Each and every comment posted by you will go through moderation and will not be published if found spamming and you might face permanent ban.
Now let's see how many types of comment spams are there and how to block them.Not all spam comments includes spam links.Sometimes spam bots are just hunting for a vulnerable blog and once it's found the attack starts.Types of comment spam:
- Sometimes there are comments which is not in English and most probably it will be an unknown language with strange links attached to it.Let me get this straight,if they know how to read your english language (or any language) posts,they should know how to type and comment in the same language.So make sure you accept comments only in the language of your blog or website.If it's not,mark it as a spam.
- Then there are complimentary spam comments like,"great design" or "Great article" or "i loved this very much.I will bookmark this and will come to read it later.". These comments are more dangerous and makes your webpage looks less important or as a junk yard.If it's from 'anonymous' users,mark it as spam.
- Comments which are filled with links.Mostly these links will be leading to some spam sites.Ignore them and mark it as spam or delete them.
New word captcha is a pain in the blog.
- Disallow anonymous posting.
- Use CAPTCHAs and other methods to prevent automated comment spamming.(Be really carefull while doing this.Because the new captcha system is a big headache and your readers may not like to waste their time on the guess the word games.We really won't recommend this unless you are really fed up of spammers.)
- Turn on comment moderation.
- Use the "nofollow" attribute for links in the comment field.
- Disallow hyperlinks in comments.
- Block comment pages using robots.txt or meta tags.